london calling blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Tutorial April 20

We had our first tutorial since we've been back from holiday. I think it went rather well.

We found out that we can crossover our information between the projects, which is excellent because I think our ideas for the other two projects would make interesting subjects for the magazine. Especially the haunted East End idea we are working on for Broadcasting...I don't know about everyone else, but that really interests me.

I am really getting frustrated with certain members of the group. Dee called me yesterday to have a small rant because our editor contacted her to tell her that they are cutting her article. I know that the editor has final say over what goes into the magazine, but there was no discussion whatsoever with the whole group. And I really think that Dee's article was a key feature within the magazine. She was working on an article for young professional and student mothers. The editor says that it doesn't fit with our target audience, which is young professionals!! I've found that a lot of the younger members in our group (the editor for journalism and the producer for broadcasting included) have a VERY narrow scope as to what are target audiences include. When we said young professionals they automatically think of businessMEN. Several of us keep having to reiterate that there are female professionals in the workplace. They also have this narrow view of what a "professional" is...as if these people aren't still young and desiring to keep a foot in the world and hobbies of their youth. To them, professionals are all drab, colourless, robotic MEN. Haha. But really, it is driving some of us up the wall. I hate to say it, but I can't wait until this project is over. It's not that I don't get along with our group it's just that I am in a completely different time in my life than they are. They want to keep the magazine "fresh" and "edgy", which is all well and good but we have to keep an open mind about a lot of the subject matter. I don't want this magazine to turn into fashionista swill, but it looks like that is where it is heading.

My ethical fashion article is coming along nicely, though I am a bit behind in the actual finished piece...mainly because I keep finding more and more research material!! The issue is really exploding onto the international fashion scene and there are tonnes of articles and websites available. Thank God it's interesting or else I would be dying!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home